HVMS: Hardware and IT Requirements
HVMS utilizes an internal computer network and reliable internet connections to properly operate. A central computer server is required to store an SQL database, which all HVMS user computers, laptops and tablets will utilize to connect to for sending and retrieving information and data.
Updates: Windows 2008 and Windows 7 are both supported by HVMS. In addition, HVMS can now also be run on SQL 2008. Please contact us if you have any questions about HVMS hardware compatibility.
Server Hosted at Your Location
To maintain control over your practice's server and data, you can utilize a server set up by your IT staff at your location. The minimum requirements for a server are:
- Quad-Core AMD Opteron or Intel Xeon Processor, 2.5 GHz Or Better
- 8GB Ram (16 GB Preferred)
- Hardware RAID 5 or RAID 1+0 Hard Disk Array with minimum 400GB Usable Space
- Recommended Partitions:
- 80GB Operating System Partition
- 150GB ‘Database’ Partition that has a cluster size of 64K (versus the default 4K). This partition will only be used for SQL Server Database storage (data file, log file, tempdb). Keeping the database partitioned ensures that the database files are not fragmented across the physical disks.
- Final partition made up the remaining data and designated as a ‘Data’ partition. This is where the install files for HVMS will reside along with other general files and database backups.
- Windows Server 2008 x64 Standard (5 Cals)
- SQL Server 2005 x64 Standard (5 cals), or SQL Server 2008 x64 Standard (5 cals)
- Static IP Windows Network Setup With RDP Access to Server, VPN Access a Bonus
If you require it, we can provide assistance in this area through our partnership with Dell Computers. Business Infusions offers full hardware sourcing services for all our clients.
HVMS utilizes internet connections for for a number of features. For this reason, you must have high-speed, reliable internet connections for HVMS to operate properly.
Important Note: HVMS will not function properly through satellite internet connections. The time delay in information being transferred through satellite internet is too slow that if often results in database queries timing out. In particular, current satellite internet technology sees information upload rates that are about 1/10th the speed of download rates, much too slow for HVMS requirements.
Tablet Hardware Requirements
HVMS is available for use on mobile tablets
, allowing you to bring the power of the software out into the field with you. The minimum hardware requirements for tablets are:
- 2GB Ram Minimum
- Minimum 7200 RPM Drives @ 100GB+ (Higher the RPM the better the drive performance)
- Intel Core2 DUO 2 GHz+
- SQL Server 2005 Express, or SQL 2008 Express
- Windows XP Pro, Vista Business or Ultimate. No "Home" Versions of Windows
HVMS: Network Requirements
HVMS utilizes an internal computer network and reliable internet connections to properly operate. The following is a minimum requirement for a successful HVMS Implementation:
- 100 Mbps Network Infrastructure (1 Gbps HIGHLY recommended)
- Windows Domain Controller, DNS and Active Domain Roles Enabled
- Workstations Joined to Domain
- VPN Connectivity for Remote Locations